Question!

I'm always looking to improve and provide. Please share your criticisms and complaints here!

Question!

Postby Onasaki » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm

So, you can call me crazy for asking this. But I always need to ask this at some point, when I finish reading a comic.

First off, I love the comic. It's great. Has a couple grammar errors that I noticed, but nothing that was completely horrible. I like the idea of it, and I like pretty much everything about it. >.> I'm sorta glad we're at something darker then usual too, I was kinda getting sick of the happy happy dancing world of Reality. XD <.<

Anyway, my questions.

How old are they? I've heard kids, but it's too subtle to satisfy me! And by they, I mean, AV, Todo and Hawk(both Dragon and Human), and yeah.. That's all I want to know. XD
Onasaki

Re: Question!

Postby Ian S » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Good question!

I'll admit, when it comes to certain details, I'd rather keep things vague or undescribed. Things such as ages or even names I'll avoid unless I completely have to, because those are details that can trap me toward something I may not realize yet. For instance, just the question of being older or younger than 17 years old can have a huge impact on relationships between the characters, and what is socially or even politically allowed by current by-location standards (and also raise questions of what those standards are in Reality). So, for now, I don't have a clear answer for you, and leave it up to your own personal preferences. I'm hoping not knowing the ages can let one experience vicariously through the characters a little easier, as one can mold that detail to their own choosing.
Ian S

Postby Onasaki » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 am

I see. Well, alright. Though, I have to argue a little that it's your comic. They can be any age you want them to be, look at Charby the Vampirate. All the characters there that are physically child-like, yet at the same time some are mass murdering demonic races. And as for relationship-based things? Kids are having boyfriends/girlfriends at 8 and 9 years old(though I admit this is more an exaggeration then anything.), so I don't think many people would have a problem. If the fans are loyal enough, then by all means do what you will. We will remain, and we will continue to enjoy the comic.

Thanks for taking the time and answering my question! Can't wait until the next chapter is released!
Onasaki

Postby digiholic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I would guess somewhere from 15-18 years old.
digiholic

Postby Boby » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Onasaki wrote:And by they, I mean, AV, Todo and Hawk(both Dragon and Human), and yeah.

Ian S wrote:Things such as ages or even names I'll avoid unless I completely have to, because those are details that can trap me toward something I may not realize yet.

Well, Ian, I'm sad to say you've already kinda screwed yourself over a bit.*

AV was in high school on Walk World. Since she says she left as soon as she could, that likely means that she graduated. That she was still upset over high school drama suggests that those events are recent.
That puts her likely age around 17-18, with a minimum of 16 and maximum of about 22
Todo said that most people in SUEPR join after high school before or alternative to college. While we don't know if he attended high school or not, his position and skill both suggest that he has many years of experience. Since he and A.V. appear to be mutually attracted to each other it's quite likely that they are in the same age group.
Minimum age of 16, maximum of about 26, most likely 18-21

Danny lacks sufficient back story to make a precise determination, but he's physically in line with Todo and AV and he lives on his own. Minimum 15, maximum mid-20s
Hinto Ama is likely immortal, but her appearance is similar to what it was when she was causing chaos around four years prior. She's at least in her mid 20s, but given her stress level and the lack of gray hair in her 'natural appearance' it's unlikely she's older than mid-30s.

Hawk has no back story that can narrow down an age range, and isn't human. The same goes for Froggy, the time travel device, robber Will, and etc...
Mayor Rabbit is suggested to be older than Todo.

Ian S wrote:For instance, just the question of being older or younger than 17 years old can have a huge impact on relationships between the characters, and what is socially or even politically allowed by current by-location standards (and also raise questions of what those standards are in Reality).

Barring on-screen nudity, "over or under 17" is a false guideline. What really matters is age difference, so the "(age/2)+7" rule works better.

* Not really
Boby

Postby Resda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Boby wrote:[AV and Todo are]... Minimum age of 16, maximum of about 26, most likely 18-21
Danny lacks sufficient back story to make a precise determination, but he's physically in line with Todo and AV and he lives on his own. Minimum 15, maximum mid-20s
Hinto Ama is likely immortal, but her appearance is similar to what it was when she was causing chaos around four years prior. She's at least in her mid 20s, but given her stress level and the lack of gray hair in her 'natural appearance' it's unlikely she's older than mid-30s.
Hawk has no back story that can narrow down an age range, and isn't human. The same goes for Froggy, the time travel device, robber Will, and etc...
Mayor Rabbit is suggested to be older than Todo.

Great analysis, but I don't see them being that old. Even 16 seems like pushing it. Physically they remind me of people a bit younger.

You make a good point with AV being high school age, which puts her between the ages of 13-18. But did she specifically say she graduated? She could have easily left without finishing high school. Chances are, with her personality, she would have found the whole thing rather stressful and left for Reality the minute she was able.

If AV is held as the baseline for determining age, then AV, Todo, and Danny would all be in their early-mid teens. I picture Todo being at least a year older than AV since he tends to speak as the voice of experience in front of her. Danny, on the other hand, is easily younger than the both of them.

Victor the Great Knight is probably a little older - I'd go with 20-25 since that's about the time men reach their physical prime, and judging from his physique, he's pretty much there. Because Mayor Rabbit mentions history with Victor in the past, I can safely assume that he is around that same age - assuming that puppets age and mature the same way humans do. If they don't, Rabbit could be 100 for all we know.

Froggy and Hawk and the minor characters don't have enough backstory, so we can't do anything to estimate their ages.
Resda

Postby John Colburn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 am

I felt like AV and Todo seem to be clearly over 18. I think it was mainly the "SUEPR is the college alternative" thing. High school graduates are all 17-19 where I come from, assuming they didn't skip or repeat any years of schooling. It seems like Todo has been at it a couple of years, making him 19+, and even if AV was at the young end of her graduating class she's probably had time to turn 18 since graduating. On the other hand, I'm generally biased towards older characters. I've never liked stories about children who save the world, and teenagers are only a bit better. Sure, young people can be surprisingly capable... but experience really does count. Highly skilled and emotionally mature heroes always seem much more plausible to me when they're older than 20.
John Colburn

Postby fighteer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Hmm, this topic reminds me that rereading is valuable when you're looking for tidbits of information. Specifically, I missed the part where Todo said that SUEPR was a "college alternative". That makes my assumption that the comic is an aversion of Wake Up Go To School Save The World invalid.

Still, that places a bare minimum age of 16-17 for Todo and AV. Your art style is deceptive in this regard, Ian. :?
fighteer

Postby Prof Sai » Thu May 27, 2010 2:49 am

There are so many conflicting clues that I don't think that any age is really possible. They are drawn half the size of the "adults" and self identify as "kids", but have very adult work responsibilities, (Would you send team of 20 year olds on that magic world mission?) go on dates like teenagers, and show no sign of having "parents".

The only answer is if childhood on reality does not work like it does on Earth. Maybe it takes 3 times as long to physically mature, while your mind and maturity race ahead? Or maybe lots of people used to be adults and got shrunk somehow? (Although the Manumator would react to that.) What Hawk says on 7.22 with Danny could be taken as pointing against this though.
Prof Sai

Postby Cony » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 am

Prof Sai wrote:The only answer is if childhood on reality does not work like it does on Earth. Maybe it takes 3 times as long to physically mature, while your mind and maturity race ahead? Or maybe lots of people used to be adults and got shrunk somehow? (Although the Manumator would react to that.) What Hawk says on 7.22 with Danny could be taken as pointing against this though.

I would have taken it as the people from Reality just being of smaller stature than those from the other planets.
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced "cun-ni"
Cony

Next

Return to Feedback and Suggestions